Friday, January 6, 2017

Ceramics!

So, a student brought in her china that she got from her grandparents. Apparently they bought this set in England in the 40s. It's beautiful, but I'd never seen that type of brown alpha-numeric marking before. It didn't strike me as something the grandparents would write on their set, it looked to me like a catalogue number from the manufacturer.



So I did a simple Google search. Sure enough, I found other people asking about the brown cataloging symbols for this manufacturer.  And the date seemed off - they didn't seem to be making this set in the 40s.

I'll update here when I find out more. I'm a member of a listserv that deals in Historical Archaeology, so it was easier to put the pictures here and let other member look at them. Plus, I thought y'all would want to see them. Not microwavable!

Coming soon: The History of Pottery!

No comments:

Post a Comment