Friday, September 16, 2016

The Dangers of The Wild

So, I have been forcefully reminded of how dangerous being outdoors can be. When I was a child, I was very allergic to all types of biting and stinging crawling and flying things. I learned to wear Deet with pride. While I don't recommend Deet for everyone, it worked well for me. Since about 11 years old, I've had few terrible run-ins with the biting and stinging animal world. The occasional spider bite swelling up my hand, mosquitoes thinking the back of my neck was worth a taste of Deet, etc.

But the bees are returning. And in big numbers. This weekend I was stung by at least four bees. I didn't have any breathing problems, but my leg swelled up and it got so hot I actually got heat blisters!

As Summer turns into Fall, we're not going to have as many problems with insect bites. But it's a good thought to have - when hiking or driving around, keep some Benadryl or some sort of allergy medication with you. And anti-itch spray. That stuff's worth it's weight in gold.

Any experiences in the wild you want to share? Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment